Monday, January 31, 2011

fun with stationery

last weekend, I put on some leggings and realised they had a hole in them just above my knee. so I got a black texta and coloured my leg in through the hole.

it was quite effective and, not being well-versed in the art of sewing, I spent some time thinking about inventing disposable patches in different colours which you could stick on your skin under a hole in your clothes. this would save the time and bother of mending.

I was quite pleased with my possible new invention and my leg-colouring until I changed into shorts that evening. I kept on catching a glimpse of my knee when I was crouching down to put the washing in the machine or pick up something off the floor and thinking it was a spider on my leg. this caused me to start, and then slap away at my leg in a frenzied kind of way a few times before I remembered it was texta.

another time I saw it out the corner of my eye and thought I must have suddenly grown a new freckle. once I’d remembered that I’d coloured in my leg, I had fun pretending I was in a movie where I discovered I had a rare and incurable skin disease. I did all the pulling-at-the-skin motions and panicky looks, and then the frantic calling of the ambulance where you drop the phone because your hands are all shaky from being hysterical.

it was a pretty fun saturday.

3 comments:

  1. You're too funny J. Can I come over and pretend I'm Christian Bale in The Machinist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen Pen, this is good giggle material, girl! From the title on through, this is deeply, deliciously, tragically funny stuff! I have just NetVibed this blog so now you are big news in my life – right up there with Google World News, in fact! (And I want you to know that this comment took me 30 seconds to type, and about 17 minutes of paralytic overthinking inertia to get down.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny!
    While I haven't coloured a black spot on my leg & then thought it was a spider, I have jumped at numerous things thinking they are some kind of creepy crawly when they are something very innocuous. Most recently I picked up a black thing from the floor in my bedroom, thinking it was a bit of carpet pulled up from the lounge room rug by the cats. Except when I touched it it was firm & smooth. I immediately dropped it with a start. Turns out it was one of these plastic knob things from the pointy end of a coat hanger...

    ReplyDelete

You can say something here if you want to. But don't feel compelled. It's really up to you.