Sunday, February 20, 2011

nice once a week

in an effort to combat own selfishness and try to be more good, I have decided to try and be Nice Once A Week. the idea is that it has to be more than just opening the door for someone or saying "your hair looks very shiny today" to a co-worker. although if I am feeling particularly grumpy one week, this may have to do.

a couple of weeks ago, I decided to start with something easy so I bought some flowers to take to the family who live downstairs. we always smile and say hello to each other in passing but I had never introduced myself or spoken to them more than that, apart from asking if I could borrow an onion one time. they had been so helpful and given me three onions. to repay them, I felt I had to take onions to the next level and had returned the following day with a whole bag of onions, but they wouldn’t accept them. so the next day I took them to work and gave onions to all my colleagues.

on the day of giving flowers, I went downstairs and rang the doorbell. the mother came to the door with a little girl hiding behind her skirt. I gave her the flowers and she invited me in so I took off my shoes and went inside.

I had thought they were Indian or Pakistani but it turns out they are from Bangladesh. it seemed that she wasn’t very confident with English, and as I didn’t want to make her feel uncomfortable, I didn’t stay too long. but before I left I did let her know that I love the aroma of her cooking as it wafts upstairs every day. I get so hungry smelling her curries every evening, and feel just a little bit sad as I sit down to my usual meal of toast (sometimes with cheese, if I've been extra inspired in the kitchen).

I asked her if she could teach me how to make her curries one day. I wasn't sure if she understood and then when she said “I give you curry?” and I said “oh that would be great!”, I worried that she thought I had only given her the flowers so I could get my hands on some of her food.

her little boy, who must be around 8 or 9, regarded me with suspicion. he seemed concerned about the amount of food intended for him that might soon be ending up on my table.

but her little girl, who I saw later on again in the garden, was very friendly. we had a lovely conversation about a tree and its leaves and what a pretty colour they were. at least I assume that’s what we were talking about. as we weren’t speaking the same language, it’s difficult to know for sure.

post script: the mother rang my doorbell a few nights ago and delivered some curry to me. I was simultaneously touched by this gesture and worried that she felt I had expected it. not too worried to eat it though (and it was even better than I had expected). big ups for Niceness so far.



1 comment:

  1. Random acts of kindness make the world so much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete

You can say something here if you want to. But don't feel compelled. It's really up to you.